The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Umar Farouq has said the federal government considers Nigerians who buy N100 call card as poor and will ensure they get relief cash.
The minister, who confirmed earlier that N-Power beneficiaries were being paid their stipends, made this statement during an interview with State House correspondents on Tuesday.
She was quoted as saying by NAN that urban poor dwellers with an account balance of N5,000 or less will benefit from the Conditional Cash Transfer scheme.
Mrs Sadiya said the prospective beneficiaries would be part of the additional one million households approved by President Muhammadu Buhari during his national broadcast on Monday.
She said “You are also aware that Mr President in his broadcast directed that we expand the beneficiaries of the Conditional Cash Transfer by one million. In this regard, we are going to focus more on the urban poor.
“These are people who depend on the informal sector to earn their livelihood. They are daily wage earners and these are people we are really going to focus more on as well as people living with disabilities.”
The Minister further explained that apart from the National Social Register, Bank Verification Numbers (BVN) and previous record of purchase of recharge cards by mobile phone owners formed part of criteria to identify Nigerians that will get the cash transfer.
Also she added that “We are also using the mobile network, people that top up their phones with maybe N100, N200. These are the people we consider to be poor and vulnerable.”